The FA Leagues Committee has created a Step 5/6 Review Group to look at a possible restructure of the current Step 5/6 competitions.
The Group held their initial meeting on 9 June 2011 and made a number of recommendations to the Leagues Committee which met on 14 June. In addition a Timetable was agreed. The main issues are set out below:
• There was a commitment to restructure Steps 5/6.
• The aim of the restructure would be to reduce the current Step 5 leagues to 12 for Season 2013/14.
• After considering the current league structure across the whole country, it appeared that the South East corner required further consideration.
• There may be a requirement for clubs to be redistributed to Step 6 divisions.
• Clubs would be selected for the new divisions based on those meeting the Grading requirements for Step 5 together with the points gained per games played process.
• There needs to be consultation with the leagues and ultimately clubs.
• Consideration was given to whether each of the 12 Step 5 divisions should also operate a Step 6 division.
• Promotion/relegation to be discussed further.
• It was agreed that in order to move this matter forward that appropriate maps be provided for the next meeting.
A timetable for the process was agreed as follows:-
14 June 2011 - Leagues Committee agree the principles
15 July 2011 - Initial announcement to Steps 5/6 leagues of the proposed restructure
4 August 2011 - Steps 5/6 Review Group to meet
September 2011 - Consultation with Steps 5/6 leagues begins
October 2011 - Consultation with clubs at Steps 5/6 via regional meetings begins
December 2011 - Steps 5/6 Review Group to meet and consider feedback from regional meetings
March 2012 - Leagues Committee to approve details of the structure – leagues and clubs to be advised of the structure to be implemented from Season 2013/14
August 2012 to 31 March 2013 - Ground grading inspections to commence. The gradings to be carried out under the control of The FA. Clubs must fully comply with the requirements of Grade F by 31 March 2013. Consideration would also be given to the security of tenure and club structure
May 2013 - Detailed structure and clubs to be approved by the Leagues Committee – 12 divisions of 22 clubs
August 2013 - Season to commence
Thanks to the NWCFL for allowing the use of the above article