By David Holland

FA Vase Weekend 31/08/19


In the only League game played today EASTWOOD COMMUNITY defeated INGLES by three goals to one with Patrick Webb getting all the Red Badgers goals. Webb struck the only first half goal on 16 minutes and then doubled the home advantage on 70 before Kyle Fowkes pulled one back for the visitors with eight minutes left. Webb completed his hat-trick and the home victory in the last minute.

The rest of the games involved our sides playing in the First Qualifying Round of the Buildbase FA Vase and I will review these in the alphabetical order of the home teams.

Northern Counties East League side AFC Mansfield left it late to edge GRAHAM STREET PRIMS out of the competition as their leading scorer Ross Duggan hit the only goal of the game in the 89th minute.

More goals at the Riverside though where BARROW TOWN returned to winning ways with a 5-3 victory over Leicestershire Senior League outfit Friar Lane & Epworth, and it was a five goal first half salvo for the home side with Sam Richards scoring in 5 and 39 minutes; Connor Brown-Wingfield on eleven; Nick Goold four minutes later and Aaron Ridout rounding off the goals on 36. Quentin Thompson, Kieran Thompson and Charles were the Friar Lane marksmen.

The all EMC game at Spondon saw WEST BRIDGFORD come from behind to beat BORROWASH VICTORIA by the odd goal of three. Gavin McCready had put Vics in front on 27 minutes, but a Dan Widdowson own goal five minutes into the second half restored parity and Tim Hopkinson got the visitors winner with eleven minutes left.

DUNKIRK left it even later than AFC Mansfield to knock UCL Oadby Town out. Mark Green’s goal three minutes into stoppage time did the trick for the Boatmen just as everyone was getting prepared for extra time.

FC GNG of the Leicester Senior League found things a little touch in their home tie against CLIFTON ALL WHITES who scored nine times without reply to progress to the next stage. Ben Clark led the onslaught with an hat-trick; Adam Taylor bagged a brace and the other goals were spread between JakKenworthy, Jordan Smith, Tommy Street and James Allen.

BELPER UNITED failed to make progress going down 3-1 at Grantham to UCL side Harrowby United. Dean Oliver was United’s marksman.

HEANOR TOWN visited UCL and former EMC rivals Holwell Sports and progress rather more easily than the 2-1 scoreline suggested. James Ozmen’s header on 34 seconds put the Lions ahead and Sam Birks doubled the lead on 57. George Coser converted a controversial penalty on 66 minutes for Holwell and that was as far as it got for the home team.

Goals from Gareth Curtis on 30 minutes and Andy Francis two minutes later gave SHERWOOD COLLIERY a seemingly comfortable victory at Horncastle Town,

Two goals in the last five minutes at HUCKNALL TOWN sent their match with CML Holbrook Sports into extra time where another five were netted before the home side progresses. Talk about late goals though! Lee Hillier put the Brookies in front with five minutes left; Matt Brian levelled two minutes into stoppage time to take the game into an extra half hour. Hillier put the Brookies back in front on 98 and Jordan Lee extended their advantage three minutes later. Aaron Short brought the game back to 2-3 and that was how it stayed until the 120th minute when Michael Bannister levelled. A replay – not on your life! Montel Gatland put Hucknall through with the game’s second stoppage time goal.

Reece Shaw put CLIPSTONE ahead on 40 minutes in their tie at KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE but George Teeney levelled within a minute. Jordan Lambert’s goal put the Brewers through to the next stage on 78 minutes with a 2-1 win.

GEDLING MINERS WELFARE won 4-2 at UCL Melton Town in another game which went to extra time. Alexander Haughton scored twice and Tony Law and Josh Thornton completed the visitors goal getters. Michael Reeves and Jordan Lever were on target for Melton.

RADFORD suffered a surprise home defeat to Cottesmore Amateurs S & S who recovered well with goals from Pope (2) and Jordan Smith to Ryan Smith’s 28th minute opener for Radford.

Central Midlands League side Arnold Town took SHIREBROOK TOWN to extra time before exiting the competition by the odd goal of five. Carter Widdowson, Liam Jepson and Kieran Darby got the goals for the home side with Kaylum Mitchell and Joe Butler, whose goal four minutes from the end brought about the extra period, scored for the Eagles.

Where next?

Match Center

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.