By David Holland

Midweek ending 27/04/18

It has been another busy week.
Monday’s game saw WEST BRIDGFORD entertain RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC with the visitors needing a win to avoid certain relegation. Two goals from David Erentz saw Bridgford home and left Olympic with the almost inevitable wooden spoon.
The other game saw BARROW TOWN emerge 3-0 winners at HOLBROOK MINERS WELFARE with all three goals coming inside the first half hour as Nduoma Chilaka grabbed a brace and Zak Ginvert the third.
Tuesday saw two of the top three in action and good wins for each saw the leading positions remain unchanged. TEVERSAL hit fifth place KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE for six with six different goalscorers sharing the occasion. David Cockerill inevitably hit the first on 26 minutes, Jason Gregory the second ten minutes later and Khyle Sargent got the third just before the break to leave Kimberley reeling. Dan Fletcher scored another immediately after the break and Jordan Slack and Matt Wilkinson got the final two.
Meanwhile, DUNKIRK were also enjoying a comfortable outing with a 4-0 win at ARNOLD TOWN. Adam Burton got things moving after ten minutes and Tim Berridge added another after half an hour. Ben Gowing hit the third on the stroke of half-time and Adrian Lang got a fourth in the second half.
Relegation for poor RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC was confirmed on Wednesday evening when they went down 3-1 at home to RADFORD for whom Conor Moore, Ryan Smith and a Simon Hore penalty were the scorers. Abdul-Raheem Sunmonu got the home goal.
HOLBROOK SPORTS picked up a welcome point at home to WEST BRIDGFORD in a game of changing fortunes. Akim Akinbinu put the visitors in front after just four minutes. Michael Fitzhugh levelled for the Brookies six minutes later and Niall Mather put them in front early in the second half. But Andrew Hernandez secured a point for the visitors on 72 minutes as the game ended 2-2.
Thursday’s games were just as meaningful. A Tim Berridge penalty three minutes into the second half grabbed the point DUNKIRK needed to stay at the head of the table on their visit to GRAHAM STREET PRIMS. Prims had gone ahead on the half hour through Joshua Wright, and despite a few problems on the night hung in there doggedly for a point as the table toppers Boatmen were hoping for three.
ANSTEY NOMADS lost ground though when they were beaten 4-2 in a thrilling encounter just down the lane from Prims at BELPER UNITED. The U’s had a superb performance from Adam Dring leading their evening and his two goals, on 28 and 65 minutes, were just reward for his endeavours. Dean Oliver on 32 minutes had given Belper a comfortable cushion before Oliver Preston got one back eight minutes into the second half. After Dring’s second of the night Mason Brown got the score back to 3-2 but home substitute Michael Dunne wrapped up a fine and well deserved Belper win five minutes from the end.
The highest scoring league game of the week was at ASHBY IVANHOE where they defeated AYLESTONE PARK 5-3. Dan Matkin hit the midweek’s only hat-trick with Angus Blair-Park and Kieron O’Sullivan also on target for Ivanhoe. Harry Sheffield had initially put Park ahead on 17 minutes and Goncarlo Santos did it for a second time twenty minutes later. Santos was also responsible for bring the game to a 3-3 stalemate before Ashby turned on the style to win it.
One other game on Thursday saw BIRSTALL UNITED beat ARNOLD TOWN to go through to the semi-finals of the Jenkins & Jenkins sponsored League Cup. Five first half goals in just over half an hour put them in command with Mitch Williams, Ashley Way, Sam Moore, Louis Dodd and Tom Marriott on target. Lee Croft got one back for the visitors early in the second half before Tom Marriott’s second of the night reopened the five goal advantage. James Greenhalgh had the final word as the Eagles fought until the end before going down 6-2.

Match Center

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.