Football in Barrow upon Soar has its' origins in the late 19th century. The population of the village at that time would have numbered around 1000, compared with around 7000 today.
The team, known as the Barrow Rising Stars were based at The Railway Inn (now the Soar bridge), and played their football near the Mill. Members of the Loughborough and District League, they were obviously formidable opposition as their record shows they were winners of Division 1 in 1901/2 and 1902/3 and also Division 2 champions in 1911/12. Cup success included the Bass Charity Cup, Rolleston Cup, and the County Cup. In one particular season four trophies came their way.
The early years of the century saw the birth of the Old Boys (now Barrow Town). This team also played down "Mill Lane", and comprised mainly of boys from the village grammar school, their record though did not compare with the stars.
Immediately prior to the First World War another Barrow team, The Trinity were gaining prominence. Also members of the Loughborough and District League Division 1, they rivalled the stars as top team from the village. Other members of the league at that time were Quorn Havelock, Quorn Emanuel, and no less than four teams from Sileby (Imps, Excelsior, Amateurs and Vics). A referee's match fee in 1913 was 2/6d and football boots 6/- per pair (30p).
Trinity FC had an illustrious spell from 1918 onwards and during an 18 year period picked up a league championship, the league cup, and the Rolleston Cup. The Trinity's glories could not last and 1930 saw the emergence of 'The Gunners' and 'Barrow Athletic', The Old Boys reappearing in 1932. The Old Boys were members of the Leics. Mutual League and for a while were based at Cotes Road, before moving to North Street and joining the Loughborough Alliance.
After the Second World War, The Old Boys reformed in 1947 and following a public meeting at The Working Men's Club, entered the Leicestershire Senior League with immediate impact. They reached the semi-final of The Senior Cup but were beaten by Whitwick Colliery. The competition also included Leicester City Reserves.
In 1968/69 The Old Boys finished runners-up in Division 2 and were promoted to what was then Division 1. Managed by much respected local man Billy Williamson, they were also winners of The Loughborough Charity Cup and The Sileby Cup, (later renamed The Billy Williamson trophy in his honour). Soon after Barrow moved to their current headquarters at Riverside Park under the new title of Barrow Town.
The success of 68/69 was emulated by the team of 92/93 managed by two more local favourites Arthur Chadburn and Colin Sykes. This team gained promotion to the Premier Division as champions. The 94/95 season was a landmark in Barrow's history with a number of records being broken. Highest ever placings for the 1st and 2nd teams. Ian Hunter's haul of 61 league and cup goals. 119 goals scored, with an 18 game unbeaten run-in, culminating in being pipped to the Premiership title by one point. The team again consisted of the nucleus of the promotion winning side, under the same successful management team.
In recent years, the club has grown in stature and maintained their Premier Division status. Three times winners of The Loughborough Charity Cup, defeating Coalville 3-1 in 96/97, Ibstock 1-0 in 98/99 (the competition's centenary year), and under Richard Pitman defeating Shepshed Dynamo on penalties in 2000/1 after the teams were locked at 2-2 after extra time.
Riverside Park has undergone several improvements in recent years, most notably the addition of floodlighting for both the main pitch and training area; a new clubhouse and changing rooms; a 50 seater granstand; covered standing paddock; and new dugouts. The recent amalgamation of all junior, youth and senior teams, makes Barrow Town one of the largest football organisations in the county, that now caters for soccer from under eight to senior level.