Around The Counties By Stan Wilton

By David Holland

Saturday 1st February

1 February
WEST BRIDGFORD’s unbeaten home record was sacrificed in midweek but they hit back in style to come from behind to win at BARROW TOWN in a seven goal thriller. Sam Moore put the Riversiders ahead after ten minutes but Elliot King levelled nine minutes later. Moore hit his second just before the half hour but King had levelled for a second time within seven minutes. Henry Dunn looked to have won it for Barrow with his 58th minute goal but two goals in the last ten minutes from Sean Green and Ryan Whitehurst won it for the Regetta Boys.

It was in that game at West Bridgford that HEANOR TOWN preserved their unbeaten away record – but only for four days. They tasted defeat away from home for the first time this season as EASTWOOD COMMUNITY remained in top spot with a 4-0 victory in this top-of-the-table local derby which drew the biggest league crowd of the season of 357 to Coronation Park. Kieran Knight but the Red Badgers in front in the first minute with a 19th minute own goal adding to the lead. Second half goals from Jared Holmes and another from Knight completed the scoring.

And yet another record went tumbling at Langwith Road where struggling SHIREBROOK TOWN won at home for the first time this season by 2-1 over RAINWORTH MINERS WELFARE. Indeed, it was Town’s first victory since 21st September and followed 15 straight defeats. Ryan Bates put them ahead on 18 minutes and Kyle Hilley doubled the lead four minutes later. Aiden Harris reduced the deficit for Rainworth on 27 minutes but neither side could add to the goals and Shirebrook had right to celebrate at the final whistle.

HUCKNALL TOWN celebrated the biggest come-back after visiting CLIFTON ALL WHITES had gone three up in the first half through a brace from Ryan Smith and a Kyle Stovell strike. Things began to change with 15 minutes left when Jordan Phillips managed to break through for Hucknall who then staged a dramatic last few minutes with Joe Ashurst first bringing it back to 2-3 on 85 before rescuing a point two minutes into stoppage time.

This allowed SHERWOOD COLLIERY to take advantage and jump into third place with a thumping 4-0 home win over CLIPSTONE. Two penalties from Gareth Curtis and a Tim Gregory goal game them a comfortable interval advantage which was added to by Jobe Shaw midway through the second half.

DUNKIRK remain in second place following their 5-2 win at BELPER UNITED. New signing Jonathan Jebbison from Heanor Town scored a brace as did Lewis Wilcox with Jordan Alls getting the other. Josh Wright and Jim Rushby scored the goals which sent the teams in all square at the break.

INGLES caused something of a stir with a 3-2 win at high flying GEDLING MINERS WELFARE. Mitchell Woodbine got a pair, which included a penalty, and Kyle Fowkes hit the other to put them into a 3-1 lead. Kieran Harrison had levelled for Gedling and Courtney Hastings got their second late in the game.

KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE took their record to 12 draws by sharing the points at GRAHAM STREET PRIMS. Ben Upton broke the deadlock for them nine minutes from the end but Brandon Gwinnutt snatched a precious point for Prims with a goal deep into stoppage time.

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON 28/29 January - Barrow Town through to the Semi Finals with Ingles make the Quarter Finals

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.