By David Holland

Round up for the week ending 24/08/19


Last week games were played in a monsoon; this week blazing temperatures which reached the high 20sC in the shade and 18C in the evenings.
Midweek saw SHERWOOD COLLIERY continue their 100% start to the season but they had to fight
hard against visitors RAINWORTH MINERS WELFARE for the points. In the end only a 40 th minute goal from Ethan Wiesztort separated the sides.

Over in Derby GRAHAM STREET PRIMS gained their first point of the campaign in a dour 0-0 draw at home to DUNKIRK.

Saturday saw two of our sides taking part in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup – and both are still in! Performance of the day though went to SHERWOOD COLLIERY who returned home from Northern Premier League Loughborough Dynamo with a 2-2 draw and a mouth-watering home replay. Liam Theakstone gave them a good start with a second minute goal, levelled by Curtin Burgess six minutes before the break. Jamie York put Colliery back in front on 65 but a second goal from Burgess fourteen minutes from the end from the penalty spot means the teams will have to meet again.

HEANOR TOWN meanwhile fought hard against former NPL opposition in AFC Mansfield and an entertaining contest ended in stalemate and a replay a week on Tuesday at Forest Town. Strange to note that both teams won away 7-0 in the last round but neither could find the net on this occasion.

The best scoring sequence of the season so far was recorded by Courtney Hastings for GEDLING MINERS WELFARE as we return to league games. His four goal haul which included three in the first half, ensured that WEST BRIDGFORD would return home pointless from a 4-2 defeat with Ryan Whitehurst and Tim Hopkinson scoring their consolation goals.

RADFORD returned to form with a 5-1 home win over CLIPSTONE with Scott Litchfield recording a hat- trick with goals on 44, 70 and 75 minutes. Jason Foster’s 89th minute goal for the visitors was scant consolation.

GRAHAM STREET PRIMS recorded their first win of the season but had to come from behind to do it as Laithan Hammond gave visiting INGLES a 23rd minute lead. This only lasted seven minutes before
Kevin Morrow levelled on 30 minute and Lee Fell getting in on the act on 44 minutes giving Prims a half time advantage at the break. There was no further scoring until four minutes into stoppage time when Joe Turner made the
score 3-1.

BARROW TOWN suffered back to back defeats as newcomers HUCKNALL TOWN retained their unbeaten start to the season with a narrow win at the Riverside. Matt Brian on 13 minutes was responsible for giving them the points with the only goal of the match.

BORROWASH VICTORIA joined Cllpstone in still looking for their first points of the season as they went down at home to a SHIREBROOK TOWN side who recorded their first ever East Midlands Counties League win. Kieran Darby put the North Derbyshire side ahead on eleven minutes and substitute Aaron Williamson increased their advantage two minutes before the break. Frankie Kuncyusz, with his first goal of the season, made the win even more emphatic nine minutes from the end.

DUNKIRK’s unbeaten start to the season continued with an excellent win by the odd goal of five at EASTWOOD COMMUNITY. At first it didn’t look like it might be their day as Patrick Webb gave the Red Badgers a 15th minute lead. Sean Green’s first goal of the game a minute before the interval restored parity to the occasion and the same player gave the Boatmen the lead eleven minutes into the second half. Ellis Evans increased the visitors advantage on 73 minutes which meant that Kieren Watson’s 90th minute goal was not enough for a share of the spoils.

TEVERSAL are another side who remain unbeaten so far, and this record was extended with a 4-1 home win over a BELPER UNITED side who were playing their first game of the campaign after having
their initial game postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The only goal of the first half came from Tevie’s Matt Wilkinson on the twenty minute mark. Substitute Jonathan Watkin made it 2-0 after 66 minutes. With ten minutes left Louis Anthony pulled one back for United who hoped to make it a grandstand finish, but further goals from Wilkinson again on 81 minutes and Jordan Black in stoppage time made it a good day for Tevie.

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Bank Holiday Monday 26/08/19
AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Week Ending 17/08/19 Sherwood rack up third consecutive win

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.