By David Holland

Medweek Action - League Cup Sponsored by Jenkins & Jenkins



Three midweek games in the First Round of the Jenkins & Jenkins sponsored League Cup brought plenty of goals and drama.

Tuesday evening saw BARROW TOWN beat a WEST BRIDGFORD side under new management by three clear goals at Nottingham. The Trentsiders held out until moments before the interval when Harry Allcock put their Riverside opponents ahead. James Parker and Zak Ginvert scored the goals in the second half which gave the Leicestershire visitors a place in the second round of the competition.

Fifteen goals, four missed penalties, four yellow cards, a couple of contenders for goal of the season and what some might say a "controversial" refereeing decision was all part of an exciting cup tie at the Town Ground where BELPER UNITED prevailed in a penalty shoot-out against hosts HEANOR TOWN. Sam Vickers returned to Mayfield Avenue to put the skids under the Lions with goals on 14 and 24 minutes. Between these goals Jordan Ball’s header and Jamie Sleigh’s volley had put Heanor firstly on terms and then in front. Ben Gowing gave United the lead again in first half stoppage time and a volley from twenty plus yards from skipper Ben Rushby just after the hour put United further in front and was worth the admission money along. Sleigh closed the gap on 68 and then stepped aside to let Jordan Ball take the 83rd minute penalty after Ben Rushby had pushed the goalbound ball over the bar with both hands. The penalty was saved but Sleigh slammed home the rebound to take the game to a penalty shoot out. Sleigh and Jordan Ball, the latter for the second time, both failed as did Dean Oliver for United, but the visitors triumphed 4-3.

There was more drama on Wednesday evening as GRAHAM STREET PRIMS came back from the dead to inflict upon SELSTON their first defeat of the season in any competition. Josh Waldram on 13 minutes and Harry Brooks ten minutes before the break had put the table toppers well in control by the interval. Lee Fell got one back for Prims ten minutes into the second half but Kieran Hinchley re-opened the two goal gap with twelve minutes of the ninety remaining to keep the visitors on a possible league and cup double. Things changed though with an 85th minute own goal which lead to another exciting finish. Jack Havron restored parity to the occasion two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game and Prims pushed hard for the winner with this game looking to be yet another which would go to a penalty shoot-out. Bradley Holmes found the net five minutes into stoppage time to complete a remarkable Prims come-back and send them into the next round.

If the remainder of the Jenkins & Jenkins League Cup competition is as exciting as these games then we are in for a wonderful competition. 2nd Round:-
Borrowash Victoria v Rainworth M.W. 21/11/18
Ingles v Clifton All Whites 14/11/18
Newark Flowserve v Barrow Town 20/11/18
Kimberley MW/Eastwood C v Arnold Town 20/11/18
Gedling Miners Welfare v Belper Utd 20/11/18
Radford v Ashby Ivanhoe 20/11/18
Clipstone v Sherwood Colliery 20/11/18
Graham St Prims v Teversal 14/11/18

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Action from Saturday 06/10/18

Match centre

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.