By David Holland

Midweek 2nd & 3rd October 2018

Only two games were played in the League in midweek, one of which saw SELSTON lose their 100% record but still continue to head the table. The local derby at the Stag Ground saw hosts KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE break the deadlock moments before the half time break through a Greg Tobin penalty. Eight minutes into the second period the table toppers were back level when Kieran Hinchley scored. Neither side could score again so they had to settle for sharing the points.
In the other game, EASTWOOD COMMUNITY scored two early goals on their visit to TEVERSAL and that was enough to give them their fifth league win of the season. Chay Betteridge rapped home a fifth minute penalty and Rory Smith added the other 16 minutes later to complete the 2-0 win.
The rest of the midweek games were restricted to first round ties in the Derbyshire FA Senior Challenge Cup and success was shared. Unluckiest of all were BORROWASH VICTORIA who will point out that when you are struggling nothing seems to go right for you. That appeared to be the case when they entertained Northern Counties East League opposition in the form of Dronfield Town and produced an excellent performance to see the 90 minutes out with a 0-0 scoreline. Dronfield, however, scored the lions share of the nine penalty kicks taken to take their place in the next round, but after the kind of start to the season which Borrowash have had to win this one would surely have given them a massive boost to take into their league fixtures.
High-flying GRAHAM STREET PRIMS were also brought down to earth by promotion hunting Central Midlands Premier North high flyers Clay Cross Town. Tom Torrington and Aiden Ordidge got the goals which gave the hosts a 2-1 interval advantage, with Jordan Kelly’s strike on half an hour being the Prims reply. Ordidge got a second for Clay Cross after the break and a Matt Harris strike ten minutes from the end closed the gap once again and made it an interesting finish but Prims couldn’t find the goal which would take them into a penalty shoot-out.
BELPER UNITED made it through to the Second Round of the competition with a 3-1 home win over Midland League Stapenhill. Tim Adcock got an early goal and James Rushby added a second from the penalty spot with almost the last kick of the first half. Rushby put the game to bed for United with a second goal seven minutes from the end.
A banana skin game in which the hosts were expected to win comfortable proved to be just that for a HEANOR TOWN side who are running into tremendous form now with their new management team in place. Harry Towner’s 22nd minute goal broke Central Midlands Premier South strugglers Holbrook Sports’ resistance and Stuart Baker’s second goal in as many games gave the Lions, playing with the advantage of a strong wind in the first half, a good interval advantage. The Brookies hopes of putting on a bit of second half pressure when playing with the wind didn’t materialise because, obligingly for Heanor, the wind dropped almost completely and teenager Morgan Holloway added two more quick goals with substitutes Ollie Naylor and Sam Bates completing a 6-0 scoreline. Many of the home fans in a crowd of 75 were not looking forward to a Second Round trip to Northern Premier League Buxton in the first week of November!

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Action from Saturday 06/10/18
Manager Appointment Founded: 1990 Charter Standard Community Club West Bridgford FC

Match centre

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.