By David Holland

The Action from Saturday 8 April 2017

A late flurry of goals saw WEST BRIDGFORD extend their lead at the top of the table to 12 points. David Erentz had given them a 33rd minute advantage and that was how it stayed going into the final minutes. Jamie Spiers added a second on 88 minutes, but a moment later Tom Hill brought the lead back to one. BLABY & WHETSTONE ATHLETIC were unable to find a second goal to draw level though.
The Brilliant Boatmen of DUNKIRK rattled up their fifteenth win in a magnificent run of 18 unbeaten games when they overcame visiting ARNOLD TOWN 3-1. Steve Chaplin claimed a goal in each half and Lewis Wilcox hit the second on half an hour. Joe Butler got a late consolation for the Eagles.
BELPER UNITED chalked up their biggest even East Midland Counties League win by disposing of bottom club ELLISTOWN & IBSTOCK UNITED by a 9-1 scoreline. Leading the scoring spree with Adam Dring, who claimed five; Ben Stockley got a hat-trick and Timmy Adcock completed the scoring. Luke Taylor got the home side’s consolation.
There was more drama at ANSTEY NOMADS where the game was abandoned after 57 minutes due to a severe broken leg to one of the Anstey players. The referee called a halt to the proceeding at 4.40pm with the player still on the pitch. Thus SOUTH NORMANTON ATHLETIC missed the chance to go three points clear into third place.
And, for that matter, so did AYLESTONE PARK, who did play and went down 3-1 at RADFORD. Simon Hore broke the deadlock on 37 minutes and Remayne Campbell doubled the lead on the hour. Jason Lee pulled one back seven minutes later but Reece Fyfe’s late goal saw the points stay in Nottingham.
Danny Quinn’s 20th minute strike won the game for ASHBY IVANHOE over HOLWELL SPORTS.
Simeon Lawrence put HOLBROOK SPORTS in front on 41 minutes at BORROWASH VICTORIA, but the hosts hit back with a Rhoadri Meads leveller after 77 minutes. This was the Brookies first point in three games.
A scrappy encounter at RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC saw visitors KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE come from behind with two late goals to win the game. A bizarre 44th minute incident was responsible for Olympic taking the lead. At first the referee awarded a penalty, then changed his mind to a free kick on the edge of the area after consultation with his linesman. The Kimberley wall did it’s job and the interval should have arrived goal-less, but the ball was floated back in from the right and Liam Smallwood headed it home via the inside of the post. The Miners 82nd minute leveller was equally bizarre. Home keeper Tom Dudley got no distance on this free kick and substitute Martin Lench volleyed the ball back towards goal from the half way linel and was probably one of the most surprised people in the ground when it went in. Scott Bailey got the 89th minute winner.
Daniel Agar put BARROW TOWN in front on 27 minutes on their visit to STAPENHILL. Tom Ellerton equalised moments before half time only for Ben Law to hit a 69th minute winner for the visitors.
The games between GEDLING MINERS WELFARE and GREENWOOD MEADOWS, and BIRSTALL UNITED and GRAHAM STREET PRIMS, affecting both the top and bottom of the table were postponed.

Where next?

Kimberley Miners Welfare First Team Manager Season 2017/18
AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON The Midweek Action - Congratulations to Holwell Sports in reaching the Final of the L&R CFA Jelson Senior Cup

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.