Graham Street Prims were originally founded in 1904, being formed from a primitive Methodist Church from which they derived the name “Prims”. Graham Street itself is actually situated off Osmaston Road in the city of Derby and is close to the Baseball Ground, the former home of Derby County F.C. until they moved to their new home at Pride Park.
The Prims were disbanded in 1914 due to the outbreak of the first world war, but in the ten year period until that time they boasted several players who went on to play league football, these included the Keetley brothers and Jimmy Bagshaw who eventually went on to play for Notts County and England.
Prims were reformed in 1953 and achieved many honours, mainly in the Central Alliance, the East Midlands League and the Derbyshire Senior League. The finest years came between 1971 and 1981 when they won no less than fifteen major honours including seven Derbyshire FA Cup wins and eight League titles. Again the Prims were disbanded in 1991, but reformed in 1995. Since reforming, they have been semi-finalists in the Derbyshire Senior Cup, beating Matlock Town on the way, losing to Belper Town 2 -0 in the semi final. They gained promotion from the Premier Division of the Central Midlands League to the Supreme Division, finishing fifth in their first season in the higher division. After suffering four years of continual vandalism at the Railway Ground in Longbridge Lane, Derby and having been relegated for not having floodlights, the club was on the verge of folding once more.
But a determined committee met with officials from Borrowash Victoria FC at the Asterdale Sports and Social Club, Borrowash Road, Spondon. Subsequently they also met with the owners of the land, The Heritage Pub Company and, as a result, a pitch and the promise of a lease was offered. Prims at last could look forward. Officials from the Central Midlands League, led by Mr Frank Harwood, gave the go-ahead to our new home and we started work on the ground. New post & rails were erected and new pitch drainage was installed. Re-seeding and vertical draining of the pitch has also taken place over the past four years, as well as a complete conversion of the old “Band Hut” into a dressing room complex and hospitality suite. Installation of a 2 metre high fence around the perimeter of the pitch has also been accomplished.
Conversion of the old squash court into a groundsmen’s storage facility to house the tractor and mowing equipment followed. Subsequent installation of a Portakabin to provide spectator refreshments has been completed as well as toilet facilities for spectators.
Cost of this operation over the past five years has amounted to around £90 -£100K. Negotiations for the Lease are ongoing. Just before the start of the 2008 season, the Asterdale Club was closed when the present Tenant handed in her notice, and a replacement could not be found. This of course was a major worry to both Prims and our neighbours, Borrowash Vics. However, after negotiations with owners, Admiral Taverns, we were allowed to carry on, but of course, we suffered the inevitable vandalism which we overcame in readiness for the start of the new season. The land has now been sold to a company called ROSCOM who want to convert the old Asterdale club into an office block. The new owner has assured us that he is very keen to keep sport on the site and, after meetings with them, our future seems promising.
In Season 2008/09 Prims began competing in the newly formed East Midlands Counties League, which is formed of teams from the Derby, Notts, and Leicester leagues and is a step up the Football League Pyramid System. We are also joined in this league by our neighbours, Borrowash Victoria. Our Reserves play in the Central Midlands Reserve Supreme Division and our Under 18's side play in the Derby City Football League.
In the summer of 2012, Thanks to Mr Ray Garlick, RAES (Raygar Architectural & Engineering Supplies Limited) became the main club sponsor and our home ground has been renamed the Raygar Arena.