8 months ago By David Holland

Action Sarurday 07/04/18

It was a day of penalty kicks. On a day when seven were awarded SELSTON kept up their challenge for the title and promotion after coming from behind against visitors RADFORD thanks to two late spot kicks. In a game of four penalties the home side took the lead after half an hour with Ben Moore’s first of the game. After Simon Hore had levelled things up for the break Selston went back in front two minutes into the second half through William Pattison. But two goals in a minute put Radford ahead for the first time. Ryan Smith levelled on 52 and Simon Hore scored from the game’s second penalty a minute later. Time was ebbing away and Selston were getting desperate when a third penalty was awarded and Ben Moore stepped up to restore parity with eight minutes left. But things didn’t end there and yet another spot kick was awarded to Selston with three minutes left and Ben Moore completed his hat-trick from twelve yards to give the home side a 4-3 win.
But TEVERSAL took advantage to extend their lead at the top of the table from two to three points thanks to Kyle Sargent’s sixth minute goal in their home game against HOLBROOK SPORTS. It was a hard fought win for The Tevie but sometimes you have to grind out these results to show just how good you are.
And it’s all hotting up at the pinnacle with DUNKIRK taking advantage of Anstey Nomads not playing to move into second place with a 5-0 home win over ASHBY IVANHOE. Oliver Clark broke the deadlock on 37 minutes and Tim Berridge added a second two minutes later. Three minutes into the second half Berridge got his second of the game followed by a fourth from Oliver Robinson on 65. Tim Berridge became the second player of the day to record a threesome, and not unlike Ben Moore his third came from the penalty spot with fourteen minutes left.
Not to be outdone, BELPER UNITED also recorded a splendid home nap hand win to take their run of unbeaten games to seven during which time they have collected 17 points out of 21. Floundering landlords BORROWASH VICTORIA were at the wrong end of yet another defeat and another scoreless game. Michael Dunne opened the scoring for the tenants after eight minutes and a second half foursome, shared around by Lewis
Anthony, Chris Ding, Tom Rushby and Matt Adcock left the Vics still in freefall down the table, without a goal in 564 minutes and their 12th successive defeat. Fortunes must soon change for this grand old club.
Another team on the upward march are KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE whose 3-1 win over visiting ARNOLD TOWN left the visitors 13 points adrift in the relegation zone with just eleven games left to play. The Miners had to come from behind though after Lee Croft had given the Eagles the lead on the stroke of half time. Grant Tobin levelled after 72 minutes and in a grandstand finish Jordan Alls scored twice in the last five minutes to move the home team up to fourth.
Relegation fears seem to be over for GRAHAM STREET PRIMS but they left it late to claim all three points against visitors BIRSTALL UNITED. The game looked to be heading for a goal-less stalemate until Don Wilkinson scored in the 90th minute. Kevin Morrow added a second – from the penalty spot – in stoppage time at the end of the game.
WEST BRIDGFORD slipped up at home to AYLESTONE PARK as the Leicestershire opponents claimed a 3-1 win. Goncarlos Santos started the ball rolling in the 20th minute for the only goal of the first half. And it was yet another penalty, this time successfully converted by Cameron Laywood on 69 minutes which put Park further ahead. There were just five minutes remaining when Ross Haig halved the visitors lead and the game looked to be heading for one of those pulsating finished. The Gary Vizzard had the last say with a goal two minutes from the end for Park.
GEDLING MINERS WELFARE scored twice in the second half through Luke Smith on 47 minutes and Liam Corrigan on 61 to complete a 2-0 victory over BARROW TOWN, and in a game which was switched from RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC’s Recreation Ground to Holwell, HOLWELL SPORTS completed the job by a similar 2-0 scoreline, Mark Cowling scoring a goal in each half to make sure of the points.
The only game of the day to end in stalemate saw CLIFTON ALL WHITES and STAPENHILL share the points and four goals. Pete Martin put visiting Stapenhill in front after just six minutes with the only goal in the first half of this game. Corbi Brown levelled for the Whites on 57 minutes, and twelve minutes later Robbie McNicholas put them in front for the first time. Pete Martin’s second goal of the game with eleven minutes left ensured that Stapenhill did not leave empty handed.

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Midweek 9th & 10th April 2018
AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON The weather takes its Toll again Saturday 27th March

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.