8 months ago By David Holland

Weekend of 17/03/18



There were a few glasses raised in the Cropston Road clubhouse as the result of the six games to finish on Saturday filtered through. First of all the ANSTEY NOMADS supporters and officials saluted James Rushby, whose goal brought the downfall of league leaders TEVERSAL by visiting BELPER UNITED and reduced the Nottinghamshire side’s advantage to just one point. Rushby’s goal was the only one of the game, and this, along with the nap hand 5-0 win which Nomads reserved for the occasion of their home game with WEST BRIDGFORD not only pegged back the Teversal lead but left the “Noisy Nomads” with two games in hand. Perfect for the run-in. Jack Lane started the Anstey blitz with the only goal of the first half in the eighth minute. He added a second shortly after the start of the second half with Mason Brown weighing in with another brace and Tom Mangan adding a fifth.

Keeping the pressure on the leaders are DUNKIRK, who over the last two seasons have put together some remarkable unbeaten runs in our competition. The “Jolly Boatmen” followed Nomads’ lead by rattling in five goals, but they had to do in the hard way and come back from Ethan Bibby’s eighth minute goal which gave visitors BLABY & WHETSTONE ATHLETIC an early lead. Daryll Thomas levelled though within a minute and there then followed the day’s only hat-trick from Lewis Wilcox whose first on 19 minutes gave the hosts the lead, his second on the stroke of half-time extended home advantage, and his third on 67 was the icing on the cake. Adam Burton had made it 4-1 four minutes into the second half to complete the 5-1 win.

Another team to come back from behind was CLIFTON ALL WHITES who fell behind to Liam Chapman’s 27th minute strike and David Hazeldine’s goal on the hour for hosts HOLWELL SPORTS as the Leicester side strive hard to get out of the drop zone. Tyrell Shannon-Lewis, who else, led the Clifton fight back for a point with a 75th minute penalty and a point saving equaliser five minutes from time.

KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE suffered a set-back to their hopes of joining the top four when they were beaten 3-1 at AYLESTONE PARK despite taking a seventh minute lead through Jordan Alls. Goncarlo Santos levelled seven minutes later and that was how the game stayed until 13 minutes from the end when Cameron Laywood put Park in front for the first time. The points were sealed by an added time goal from Jason Lee.

Goals galore again though at BIRSTALL UNITED where their recent great run has seen the club burst into the top five. Sam Moore gave them an early lead which lasted just five minutes before Niall Dawkins levelled for visitors STAPENHILL. Birstall burst into life again though in the second half with a brace of goals from Ryan Foster before Pete Martin halved the deficit. Chris Aylott made the final score 4-2 in favour of the home side with a goal three minutes from the end.

The game at RADFORD was brought to a premature conclusion by a heavy and vicious snow storm 40 minutes into the encounter with the score at 1-1.

Where next?

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.