10 months ago By David Holland

Saturday 24/02/18



For the first time this year there was almost a full compliment of fixtures played; only the Blaby & Whetstone Athletic v West Bridgford game fell by the wayside. And it was a good day for the top three who all pulled off good wins to keep the pressure on each other. But time now to watch DUNKIRK whose 2-0 win at GEDLING MINERS WELFARE lifted them into fourth place in the table. With games in hand they will mount a serious challenge on the top three. Steve Chaplin gave them the lead ten minutes before the break and Daryll Thomas’s 69th minute penalty sealed the Boatmen’s win.

Leaders TEVERSAL won by the same score at basement strugglers ARNOLD TOWN but it took two late goals from substitutes Dan Fletcher (75) and Kurtis Bamford three minutes from time to prevent the Eagles from taking a much-needed point.

Not quite the same late flourish from SELSTON whose four goals in a 22 minute spell saw them complete a satisfying 4-2 win in a difficult fixture for them at CLIFTON ALL WHITES, but they had to come from behind to achieve this. Corbi Brown had given the home side the start they wanted in the 33rd minute. Jamie Renshaw levelled things up eight minutes later with Keenan Layton putting the visitors ahead for the first time on 58. Moments later Carl Moore scored the first of his brace, the second coming on 63 minutes. Clifton hit back with a second from Jevin Season in the last minute but it was too little to late.

ANSTEY NOMADS kept up the pressure on both of them as Jack Lane put them ahead at KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE in the 36th minute and Ellis Preston doubled their advantage five minutes later. Jordan Alls got one back for the Brewers with fifteen minutes left to set up a grandstand finish but Anstey held out for the points.

At the other end of the table GRAHAM STREET PRIMS had their best win of the season with a 5-0 win over RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC who could not take their midweek win into further success in this game. The day’s only hat-trick was recorded by George Lynam who opened the scoring on 26 minutes and completed it on 75. His other goal coming on 62. Jak Kenworthy made it 2-0 at the break with a goal on 43 minutes and Kevin Morrow added to the visitors sorrow (sorry about the pun) on 52.

But the win was not enough to lift Prims out of the drop zone as fellow strugglers HOLWELL SPORTS completed the recovery of the day to record their second win of the week. George Teeney had put hosts STAPENHILL well in command with two goals in the first eleven minutes of the game. Ian Bitmead pulled one back for Sports on 25 minutes and David Hazeldine’s goal eleven minutes later sent the teams in level at the break. Ross Cragg grabbed the visitors winner five minutes from the end.

RADFORD also enjoyed home success with a 5-0 win over BIRSTALL UNITED. Conor Moore started the ball rolling after seven minutes with the only goal of the first half. Ryan Smith extended home advantage five minutes into the second period and goals them followed at regular intervals from Jacob Spence, another from Moore and a spot kick success from Liam Motson. All this despite Radford

playing more than 50 minutes of this game with ten men after Kevin Spriggs was red carded just before the break.

ASHBY IVANHOE were another side to come from behind to claim the points despite going in front after 16 minutes courtesy of Dan Matkin. But visitors HOLBROOK SPORTS fought back and a brace of goals from Ben Wallace put them in front at the interval. Then came the late, late show as Dan Stevenson levelled the scores again on 86 minutes and substitute Jamie York grabbed the Ivanhoe winner with just two minutes left.

AYLESTONE PARK had a comfortable win at the Asterdale against struggling BORROWASH VICTORIA with first half goals from Jason Lee and Jack Blanksby sending them in with a comfortable half time advantage. Lee added his second goal of the game in the 89th minute to set up the visitors 3-0 win.

The only drawn game of the day was at the Riverside when BARROW TOWN and BELPER UNITED shared four goals; the visitors snatching their point in stoppage time at the end of the game thanks to Dean Oliver. Ashley Palfreyman had put Barrow in the driving seat with his goal on 19 minutes. This cancelled out by Michael Dunn just four minutes later. Chris Davies put the home side back on top nine minutes into the second half and it looked like giving Barrow the points until United’s late drama.

Where next?

AROUND THE COUNTIES By STAN WILTON Congratulations to DUNKIRK in reaching the final of the Nottinghamshire FA Senior Cup

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.