11 months ago By David Holland

Saturday 13/0118 The league programme got back to normal with almost a full list of fixtures being played

The league programme got back to normal with almost a full list of fixtures being played. And in the top-of-the-table clash at the Parish Ground ANSTEY NOMADS showed their credentials with a massive 4-1 win that takes them second in the table four points behind leaders Teversal with two games in hand. After a pretty even start Ellis Preston gave SELSTON a first fright by putting the visitors into a 34th minute lead. This was extended by Joe Hopewell and Tom Mangan with goals in a ten minute spell midway through the second half. Mangan added a fourth for the “Noisy Nomads” in the dying minutes before Carl Moore got a consolation for the Notts side in the last minute. The game drew an excellent crowd of 119.
There was high drama at WEST BRIDGFORD where the home side hung on, and I mean hung on, to the points in a dramatic conclusion to the game. Taylor Gardner and Ross Haig had given the home side a two goal cushion inside the first 12 minutes. Tomi Jayeola made it three five minutes before the break. Then the Bridges started the second half with Anthony Willey being red carded within a minute of the restart and Billy Heath followed in th 76th minute leaving them to battle on with nine men. Sam Moore on 82 and Michael Paparozzi on 88 pulled goals back for visiting BIRSTALL UNITED but West Bridgford hung on for the points and hero of the day was their goalkeeper who, in addition to all the drama which had preceded, saved two penalties! It certainly wasn’t a game for the faint hearted.
ARNOLD TOWN’s woes continue as they went down 3-0 at RADFORD, where Simon Hore broke the deadlock a minute into first half stoppage time. Jacob Spence added a second with 15 minutes left and Ryan Smith made it three in stoppage time at the end of the game.
The biggest win of the day was recorded by AYLESTONE PARK who thumped GRAHAM STREET PRIMS 5-1. Joell Potter opened the scoring for them in the tenth minute and Cameron Laywood extended the advantage before Matt Pearce pulled one back for the visitors. But that was as good as it got for them as Chris Aycott recorded the day’s only threesome with goals on 37, 41 and 76 minutes.
The score just beat CLIFTON ALL WHITE’S 5-2 success at HOLBROOK SPORTS where spectators enjoyed a six goal salvo in the first 38 minutes. Connor Hardy put the visitors in front on eleven minutes only for Stuart Baker to restore parity four minutes later. Tobias Richardson put Clifton back in front and Matt Harris levelled things up again all inside the first 22 minutes. Theo Smith and new signing Luke Crosby added further goals for Clifton before the break and Corby Brown completed the scoring with the only second half goal five minutes from the end.
First half goals from George Wesley and an Angus Blair-Park penalty were enough for ASHBY IVANHOE to take all three points from their visit to BORROWASH VICTORIA, whilst two late goals from Lee Barratt and Adam Parry gave BLABY & WHETSTONE ATHLETIC all three points from their visit to HOLWELL SPORTS.
Come-back of the day, however, must belong to DUNKIRK. The Boatmen were trailing to Jordan Alls 45th minute goal for KIMBERLEY MINERS WELFARE until right at the very end. Then, in the 89th minute, Steve Chaplin got the equaliser. But the drama didn’t end there because two minutes into stoppage time the Boatmen were awarded a penalty and Daryll Thomas struck the winner for them.
Two goals in a nine minute spell midway through the second half from George Teeney were mainly responsible for STAPENHILL taking all three points from their visit to GEDLING MINERS WELFARE. Derry Crighton had initially put them ahead in the second minute and Joe Meakin had levelled for Gedling ten minutes later. Meakin got a second in the 74th minute for his team but Gedling couldn’t share the points.
Much-travelled Julian Joachim has now added RADCLIFFE OLYMPIC to his ever-growing list of clubs that he has not only played for but also recorded goals for. Unfortunately, his stoppage time penalty was not enough to stop BELPER UNITED returning home from the Recreation Ground with all three points. Adam Dring had put Belper ahead on nine minutes and Jim Rushby had hit a second on 73 minutes to put them comfortably in charge against the bottom club.

Where next?

League Statement Borrowash Victoria
AROUND THE COUNTIES Midweek 9th, 10th January 18

Match centre

Latest photos

East Midlands Counties League | newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.